By continuing to shop we will assume that you are happy to receive all cookies, otherwise you can find more information here.
Burgundy 2018 Is A Solar Vintage
The Wine Advocate, Neal Martin, states; Burgundy never sings in unison like a choir. It is a mass of soloists giving their own interpretation of the same piece of music.
We are delighted to share with you our favourite parcel picks
In 2018, the growing season was dominated by an impressive number of sunlight hours; paired with plentiful water reserves due to a very wet winter and a deluged March. This has produced a brilliant cross section of both Pinot and Chardonnay wines; all very good, with many excellent and several stunning. The option of when to pick and what to do with bunches subsequently (from 100% destemming to 100% whole bunch) has led to a variety of expressions of the vintage.
Over the last couple of months, we have been bidding at the hospices, tasting the 2018 vintage (you can read the full report here), poring over tasting notes and fighting for allocations, just to mention a few. Ahead of our Burgundy 2018 En Primeur tasting later this month, we have put together a few parcels that make a perfect start if you are thinking to establish a Burgundy collection or are simply looking for fantastic additions to your existing cellar.
Bang for the BuckThe ‘Bang for the Buck’ parcel contains 60 bottles and costs circa £1500 In Bond.
The wines in bold are included in the package. The extras below are recommended to purchase as additional for this category.
Long-Depaquit: Chablis 1er Cru 'les Vaillons' £120
- de Montille: Beaune 1er Cru 'les Aigrots' blanc £189
- Philippe Colin: Montagny £90
- Francois Raquillet: Mercurey Blanc 1er Cru 'Veleys' £120
- Albert Bichot: Fixin 1er Cru 'Clos de la Perriere' £216
- de Montille: Beaune 1er Cru 'Les Sizies' £216
- Taupenot-Merme: Saint Romain £111
- Jane Eyre: Côtes de Nuits Villages £138
- Comte Armand: Auxey Duresses 1er Cru Rouge £186
- Edouard Delaunay: Santenay 1er Cru Beauregard £126
- Jean Tardy: Hautes Côtes de Nuits 'Cuvée Mailie' £132
- Jean Tardy: Fixin 'la Place' £207
- Jane Eyre: Santenay 1er Cru 'les Gravières' £174
- Francois Raquillet: Mercurey Rouge 1er Cru 'Vasées' £114
- Edouard Delaunay: Saint Romain (BL) £132
Complete Classics IThe ‘Complete Classics I’ parcel contains 48 bottles and costs circa £2000 In Bond. The wines in bold are included in the package. The extras below are recommended to purchase as additional for this category.
The choices below will ensure a collection of those renowned villages on which the reputation of Burgundy was made. Each wine is a benchmark for quality and style from their respective appellations.
- Long-Depaquit: Chablis Grand Cru 'les Vaudésirs' £234
- de Montille: Meursault 'Saint Christophe' £276
- Philippe Colin: Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 'Maltroie' £276
- Jane Eyre: Gevrey-Chambertin £204
- de Montille: Nuits Saint George 'Aux Saints Juliens' £216
- Taupenot-Merme: Chambolle-Musigny £225
- Clos Frantin: Vosne-Romanée £276
- Philippe Pacalet: Pommard £342
- Edouard Delaunay: Nuits Saint Georges 1er Cru 'les Crots' £283
- Jean Tardy: Vosne-Romanée ‘Les Vigneux £330
- Clos Frantin: Gevrey-Chambertin 'les Murots' £207
- Taupenot-Merme: Gevrey-Chambertin £210
Complete Classics II‘Complete Classics II’ parcel contains 48 bottles and costs circa £3500 In Bond.
This selection of top 1er Crus is a tribute to some of the most vaunted sites and growers in the Cote d’Or. It also includes a Grand Cru Chablis and an old vine classic from the legendary Dugat-Py.
- de Montille: Chablis Grand Cru 'Preuzes' £294
- Ballot-Millot: Meursault 1er Cru 'Genevrières' £396
- de Montille: Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru 'Le Cailleret' £516
- Jean Tardy: Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru ‘Aux Argillats’ £450
- de Montille: Pommard 1er Cru 'Les Pézerolles' £438
- Dugat-Py: Gevrey-Chambertin 'Vielles Vignes' £414
- Taupenot-Merme: Chambolle 1er Cru 'la Combe d’Orveau' £510
- Michel Gros: Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru 'Clos des Réas' £516
Clever TreasuresThe ‘Clever Treasures’ parcel contains 48 bottles and costs circa £3000 In Bond.The wines in bold are included in the package. The extras below are recommended to purchase as additional for this category.
Here is a list for true Burgundy academics and bargain hunters, a trove of vinous gems from over performing vineyards and growers that border, geographically and qualitatively, the region’s most illustrious names.
- Ballot-Millot: Meursault 'Narvaux' £214
- Philippe Colin: Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 'En Remilly' £321
- du Pavillon: Beaune 1er Cru 'Clos des Mouches' blanc £375
- Jean Tardy: Nuits-Saint-Georges ‘Bas de Comme £276
- de Montille: Beaune 1er Cru 'Les Grèves' £282
- Taupenot-Merme: Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru 'La Riotte' £396
- Pacalet: Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru 'aux Argillas' £492
- Clos Frantin: Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru 'Malconsorts' £651
- Taupenot-Merme: Nuits St Georges 1er Cru 'les Pruliers' £396
- Henri Magnien: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'les Cazetiers' £450
- Jane Eyre: Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru 'les Bondues' £234
- Edouard Delaunay: Vougeot 1er Cru Petit Vougeot £312
Reds from Gevrey ChambertinThe ‘Gevrey Focus’ parcel contains 36 bottles and costs circa £2500 In Bond. The wines in bold are included in the package. The extras below are recommended to purchase as additional for this category.
2018 was responsible for some wonderful wines across the region, and one appellation really shone consistently from grower to grower, at village level to lieu dit to 1er Cru: Gevrey Chambertin. The selection below is an opportunity to explore the exceptional terroirs of this most famous of Burgundy’s villages.
- Duroché: Gevrey-Chambertin ‘Les Jeunes Rois’ £276
- Philippe Pacalet: Gevrey-Chambertin £330
- Albert Bichot: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'Petite Chapelle' £399
- Henri Magnien: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'les Cazetiers' £450
- Taupenot-Merme: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'Bel Air' £495
- Dugat-Py: Gevrey-Chambertin 'Coeur de Roy' £558
- Jane Eyre: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'Corbeaux' £360
Top of the ClassOur ‘Top of the Class’ are sold as cases of 6.
The wines below represent the peak of the Cote d’Or, the very best 1er Crus and allocations of Grand Crus that we can offer with no or minimal linkage to other wines. Cases of these will take pride of place in your collection and bottles from any of them will be a centrepiece at any future tasting or dinner.
de Montille: Meursault 1er Cru 'Les Perrières' £468
de Montille: Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru £525
Philippe Pacalet: Corton Charlemagne Grand Cru £1230
Taupenot-Merme: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'Bel Air' £495
Taupenot-Merme: Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru £795
Taupenot-Merme: Mazoyères-Chambertin Grand Cru £987
de Montille: Volnay 1er Cru 'en Champans' £462
de Montille: Corton Clos du Roi Grand Cru £558
Clos Frantin: Echezeaux Grand Cru £795
Jane Eyre: Corton Grand Cru £462
Comte Armand: Pommard 1er Cru 'Clos des Épeneaux' £594
Dugat-Py: Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru 'Corbeaux' £1,026
Dugat-Py: Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru £1,722
Edouard Delaunay: Griotte Chambertin Grand Cru £1,422
Edouard Delaunay: Echézeaux Grand Cru £1,008
Philippe Pacalet: Corton-Bressandes Grand Cru £1,100
Philippe Pacalet: Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru £1,500
Even with the generous bounty of the vintage, as is often the case with Burgundy En Primeur, we have limited quantities to offer to you so please make sure you express your interest and most importantly sign up for Burgundy tasting events we have lined up in the coming weeks to try before you buy! Check our upcoming events here.
Need more information on what buying wine “En Primeur” is all about? Read our blog on everything you need to know about buying en primeur.
Published on: January 3, 2020