Update on Bordeaux 2016
With Bordeaux 2016 in full swing and with it being such a suspenseful campaign so far due to the unforeseen weather changes, it's a good time to update our readers on this exciting vintage.
Allocations are as much as 50-60% down on last year despite the generous vintage with chateaux compensating for the frosts, so demand for the limited quantities released has been exceptional. We have only between 3 and 6 cases left of the below.
1) Lafite “the greatest Lafite since the legendary 1959” 100 JS, 98-100 CK, 98-100 JL, 99 Decanter £2900/6 + Liv-Ex “wine of the vintage”
2) Palmer “mesmerising” 99-100 JS, 97-99 CK, 98 Decanter, 97-98 JL £1420/6
3) Beychevelle “leaves all the other Beychevelles in recent years standing… electrifying” 96-98 WA, 96-98 JL £345/6
4) Durhart-Milon 94-95 JS, 93-95 WS, 94 Decanter, “One of the best in a very long time” £640/12
+ 20% less than Carruades Lafite (only scored 89-92 AG, 89-91 WA) so the true second wine of Lafite!
5) Talbot 94-96 CK, 94 Decanter, “'A jewel of a wine” 92-94 AG £492/12
6) Rieussec “a triumph” 98-99 JS, “gorgeous” 93-96 AG, 95 £245/6
During a gold rush buy shovels, so check out our full Bordeaux 2016 En Primeur listings here.
The release of Montrose 2016 (AG 93-95, JS 97-98, WA 97-99) justifiably attracted a lot of attention but I thought to direct your attention to a decent parcel (10 cases) of 2014 Montrose (AG 97, JS 97, WA 95-97) @ £520/6 I/B. This is the best price on the market which is currently sitting at £540-585/6.
“Dare I say, this is one grand vin that comes perilously close to matching the heights of the 2009 and 2010. This is a brilliant Montrose, one of the best you will find on the Left Bank this vintage.”
Neal Martin, Wine Advocate, on 2014 Ch Montrose
This is 18% less than the 2016 release price but likely to rise during the scramble for back vintages of Montrose that results from en primeur demand that will only see second tranche 2016 prices increase too. As I mentioned in the email header – during a gold rush buy shovels…
Chateau Montrose 2014 £520/6 in bond (best price in the market, available June)
We are still waiting for a number of top wines to be released and allocations to be confirmed, all of which are also going to be exciting buys IF the price isn’t too crazy! The list below includes a number of them but is not exhaustive as there is so much great wine from 2016. In fact just last week Tim Atkin MW rated 2016 as the best overall vintage of the decade after 2010 (better than 2009 AND 2015).
Even so we are being very picky in our selections…
Canon La Gaffelière
Smith Haut Lafitte
Leoville Las Cases
Grand Puy Lacoste
Photo credit to Claire Mckinney
Published on: May 26, 2017