The estate has existed for over 1500 years: a royal wedding was documented in 588 AD. By 1215, there was a monastery on the site, whose remains can still be seen today. This was the start of vine growing on the estate. These days there are 25 hectares of vineyards. Sited at a relatively low elevation of 150 metres, merlot is planted in gravel-rich soils that were once the bed of a branch of the Adige. Sandier, pH-neutral soils, at elevations of 150-200 metres, host cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, and the venerable carmenère vineyards. All the vineyards are in well-drained, nutrient-poor soils. The winery lies in the southern portion of the Trentino region, just a few steps from the border with the Veneto, in what was once a fief of the Church, but today is a small hamlet synonymous with one of Italy’s most historic wine producers. The current owners ancestors took over the estate in 19th century.