Bordeaux 2020 En Primeur is well and truly under way with a large number of fabulous wines having already been released by La Place. Some old favourites have found their way into Club Members' cellars, such as Teyssier 2020 & Le Dome 2020 (which sold out almost instantly) from the Maltus stable, whilst we've welcomed a handful of new châteaux to the Honest Grapes' fold given how strongly they performed in 2020, such as Cantenac Brown & Pomerol sensation Domaine de l'Eglise.
With all the major vintage reports now released, we can safely say that Bordeaux 2020 completes a trilogy of superb vintages. Vinous' Neal Martin writes that "We are accustomed to the Bordelais cranking out the hyperbole to the point where even they have begun taking their own words with a large pinch of salt. But the truth is that generally the 2020 does form the third in a trilogy of great vintages after 2018 and 2019". Vinous' founder Antonio Galloni agrees, and says the "2020s impress for a combination of energy and vibrancy that is hugely appealing".
Unlike 2019 however 2020 isn't a homogenous vintage. For some writers there are clear winners by appellation, with The Wine Advocate's Lisa Perrotti-Brown announcing that only "for some areas and terroirs, this is absolutely the third outstanding vintage in this trio", and she particularly highlights Pomerol and St Emilion on the Right Bank as top performers due to less rain and more temperate, sunny pre-harvest conditions. For Galloni Pessac-Leognan is the star of the vintage, whilst Neal Martin claims that "It was an inconsistent vintage away from the top of the hierarchy", and top châteaux on both the Left Bank and Right Bank have on the whole fared extremely well (something LPB & AG would no doubt agree with).
Malartic Lagraviere is easily one of our top picks of the campaign thus farBordeaux 2020 WinesIn any case, the 2020s are looking very attractive indeed, and the table below represents what we currently have available (generally just a few cases of each max). Take your pick!
- Teyssier 2020 £140/12 93-94 JS
- Lafon Rochet 2020 £165/6 93-95 NM
- Domaine de L'Eglise 2020 £324/12 96-97 JS
- Batailley 2020 £168/6 93-95 AG
- Malartic-Lagraviere 2020 £346/12 94-96 NM
- Langoa-Barton 2020 £179/6 93-95 WA
- Branaire Ducru 2020 £186/6 94-96 AG
- Château Guiraud 2020 £198/6 94-95 JS
- Château Cantenac Brown 2020 £206/6 94-97 AG
- Roc de Cambes 2020 £260/6 92-94 NM
- Vray Croix de Gay 2020 £274/6 95 D
- Domaine de Chevalier Rouge 2020 £283/6 96-98 JL
- Château Grand Puy Lacoste 2020 £304/6 95-97 NM
- Château Canon La Gaffeliere 2020 £326/6 95-97 JD
- Beychevelle 2020 £347/6 95-97 JD
- Arômes de Pavie 2020 £360/6 95-96 JS
- Vieux Château Mazerat 2020 £365/6 94-96+ JD
- Domaine de Chevalier Blanc 2020 £398/6 96-97 JS
- La Mondotte 2020 £798/6 96-98 JD
- Pavie 2020 £1,446/6 99-100 JS
- Angelus 2020 £762/3 98-100 WA